TEN TIPS FOR FINDING YOUR LOST PET:
1. File a lost report with animal control and notify microchip company if your pet is chipped.
2. Please check local animal control/shelters often, and in person (if allowed). Do not rely on animal control/shelters to contact you even if your pet is microchipped/tagged.
3. Put something with your scent outside. If possible, hang it so the wind carries your scent. Put out smelly treats/food, too.
4. Put up fliers for at least two to three miles in all directions. Place them in plastic page protectors turned upside down to protect from rain. Secure with tacks and fluorescent tape (or print on bright paper to draw the eye). Make your fliers bright/visible and easy to read - LOST, picture, phone #. Remember...not everyone uses Facebook! Fliers are the #1 way missing pets get home.
5. Walk your neighborhood, speak to neighbors and hand out fliers.
6. Post on Facebook to lost and found pet groups, neighborhood/community groups, yardsale sites for your area, etc..
7. Post to NextDoor.com, Craigslist, Pawboost.com (use the free option) and helpinglostpets.com.
8. Mount a photo on bright posterboard and hand write LOST, REWARD and your phone number in large print visible from a car. Place at intersections. You can cover these signs with cellophane from the dollar store to protect from rain. Home Depot and Lowes sell blank signs with stands and you can mount bright posterboard to these.
9. Check Craigslist (for sale, pets and lost & found sections) and Facebook sites regularly.
10. Consider hiring a pet tracker.